1. SKIP THE FOUNDATION: If you have acne the first thing you want to do is slather on the thick foundation. Instead, cover up blemishes with concealer, then follow with a powder or tinted moisturizer.
2. YOU PAT CONCEALER IN, NEVER RUB IT IN: When applying concealer, put a bit on the pad of your middle finger and pat it in. Never rub. Got acne? Pat the concealer on top of it.
3. If you are wearing heavy eye makeup, go for nude lips with just a bit of gloss. Prefer the drama of dark lipstick? Keep face light (stay away from heavy blush) and wear only mascara on your eyes and a light eyeshadow. And never, ever line lips in a darker color than your gloss or lipstick.
4. No matter your age, too much makeup makes you look worse. Tone it down: All you really need is a great mascara, concealer for blemishes and gloss. Add a pop of blush in winter.
5. Natural hair is always hot. If you have super dark hair, lighten your look by going a shade darker or getting lighter highlights.
6. Vaseline is your best friend Vaseline is a great, cheap eye makeup remover. It's also great for fixing chapped, scaly lips. Slather on a bunch of Vaseline, then use a toothbrush to massage lips. Wipe the excess off on a tissue. Your lips will be smooth and soft.
7. You can never go wrong with layers Long layers are great for any hair type: Super curly, straight or wavy. It makes thin hair appear thicker, curly hair appear manageable and wavy hair appear just-got-back-from-the-beach sexy.
8. Acne? Get the to a dermatologist, stat Biggest mistake people with acne make? Not going to a dermatologist.
9. Spend money on key beauty products. Not sure what to splurge on and what to save on? See if you should splurge or save on cleansers, mascara, concealer and more.
10. Buying foundation or lipstick? Test it first. There are some beauty products you simply must try out or before you buy. These include: Foundation, lipstick, blush and powder.
11. When can you skip sunscreen ? Never. The first beauty product you should apply every day is sunscreen, even if it's cloudy or rainy outside. Good habits start young and if you use sunscreen now, you'll have gorgeous skin when you're 50, 60, 70. Remember, the sun's UV rays can penetrate clouds and car windows.
12. Wrapping hair around the barrel creates waves There's nothing cooler than long, layered waves. To get them, wind hair AROUND the barrel of a large curling iron.
13. Self-tanner will always stink. Unfortunately, even the best ones smell. Your best bet is to apply self-tanner a good 24 hours before an important event and take a shower to wash off any smell. For really big events like a dance or wedding, consider a professional spray tan. These are pricey and don't last long, so make sure to do it a day before the big event.
14. Don't let nails go. make sure to keep nails clean and the same length. If you do want to paint them, don't keep the polish on until half of it's chipped away. Also, there's nothing worse than too-long toenails.
15. Lining the inside of the eye will make it look smaller.
16. Oily hair? If you have blonde hair, sprinkling a bit of baby powder on your roots and at your crown will soak up excess oils. If you have brown hair, you might be better off with a dry shampoo for your hair color.
17. Shave legs at the end of the shower. Cut down on nicks and cuts by making shaving the very last step in your shower or bathing ritual.
18. What feature do people comment on most? Play it up. If you're told you have Angelina Jolie lips, make sure to wear gloss and play with bold lipstick colors. If it's your eye color people love, find eyeshadow colors that complement them and make sure to wear mascara. Also, know what color shirts look best on you and go shopping.
19. If you have dry, itchy skin in winter, invest in a scrub and handmitts and scrub away in the bathtub. Make sure to slather on a thick moisturizer afterward. For dry, callousy feet, buy a pumice stone.
20. REMEMBER!! Beauty is mostly internal Think about a girl you know who's overweight yet all the guys love her. Why? Because she's confident. If you aren't wearing makeup and your toes haven't been repainted in weeks, if you're happy and smiling you will still be 10 times prettier than the mopey cheerleader sitting next to you in class.